According to a survey conducted in the United States in 2017 based on the possession of the different tools, 92% of the respondents owned a hammer!
Despite the fact that a soldering iron is a handy tool it can still affect you as it can reach temperatures of up to 900 ℉. Thus, it would be a good idea to get a soldering iron stand.But wait! If you don’t want to buy a soldering iron stand why not make one at home.
Read on for more information.
Why Use A Soldering Iron Stand
As mentioned previously, your soldering iron can be quite heated and thus, it can affect your working surface and can even burn your skin. It’s important that you are being careful when dealing with the soldering iron.
In fact, it’s important to follow the safety procedures when dealing with such items and using a soldering iron stand would be better for your safety.
Apart from this, make sure you are working in the right environment and also using appropriate clothing and safety goggles while working.
It’s possible that while working on your favorite project, you might accidentally burn your hand no matter how safely you are trying to keep the soldering iron away from you. However, by using a soldering iron stand you can be comfortable while working.
Some soldering iron stands have sponge with them. It means that it would be easy for you to clean the tip of your soldering iron. In fact, it would be a good idea if you are adding a sponge with your soldering iron stand. It’s important that you are maintaining and keeping the tip of your soldering iron clean.
Now that you might be a little convinced on the use of the soldering iron stand, let’s dig in and find out how to make one at the comfort of your home.
Making A Soldering Iron Stand At Home
It’s possible that you have lost your soldering iron stand or maybe you are not interested in buying a stand at all! It’s important that you have a soldering iron stand while working. Worry not! It’s possible to make it by using the items that are available at your home.
Consider the following:
- Let’s use a metal coat hanger for making your soldering iron stand. You can simply cut the hook and twisted wire section of this metal hanger. Next just straighten the metal hanger. Or just cut 10 inches of section to get your metal wire! If the metal is thinner, it would be better!
- Bend this wire to make an angle of 90 degrees. Make sure one side is longer than the other. Keep the base longer.
- Now, you have to bend the longer side into a circle. The shorter side would be perpendicular.
- Bend the perpendicular shorter side by 120 degrees and then bend it again at 60 degrees. A V would be formed.
Voila! Your soldering iron stand is now ready for your use! If you are still confused, you can check out this link. It’s a good idea to make a soldering iron stand at home. However, if you find it too difficult you have another option. You can select the one you prefer the most.
There is another way through which you can make a soldering iron stand at home. In fact, it’s a good idea to know different ways so that it would be possible for you to use the one you prefer the most!
Consider the following:
- You can use a terracotta tile for making the soldering iron stand. Isn’t it interesting! Find a suitable spot and drill a hole on your terracotta tile. Plus, you can place some small pads using leather at the base of the terracotta tile so that it won’t slip while you would be working with your soldering iron.
- Next, you need to find a suitable metal wire hanger. At this point, you have to make a wire coil. So, make sure you form a suitable wire coil. It’s important that you are working patiently so that the end results would be neat and efficient. The soldering iron would be quite hot and it’s important that you focus on making a suitable soldering iron stand at the comfort of your home.
- You can cover the terracotta tile with a suitable leather and poke a hole. When you are done making the coil just epoxy it in place by following the relevant instructions. Plus, it would be possible for you to add a sponge on the soldering iron stand if you like! It’s your personal choice, but it would be a good idea since it would allow you to clean the tip of your soldering iron. You might be aware of the fact that cleaning the tip of the soldering iron is really important.
Voila! You are ready to use your soldering iron stand. It’s quite easy to make one at home. Rather than buying from the market, if it’s easy for you then why not make one for yourself. Just follow the instructions and see what happens.
If you want you can also use a marble base instead of the terracotta tile, but the process of making the soldering iron stand would be pretty much the same with just a few differences. It would depend on your personal preferences and what’s easily available at the comfort of your home.
Wrapping It Up
While working with the soldering iron you have to be careful. It’s important that you are following the relevant safety instructions. One such safety precaution is to use a soldering iron stand. If possible you can get one, but if you don’t want to invest in a soldering iron stand then it’s best to make one at the comfort of your home.
Make sure you are following the safety procedures. If you are trying to make a soldering iron stand for the first time, make sure you are doing a thorough research and are confident of making it! There are two methods mentioned above for your ease, you can select the one you like the most. Just make sure you are safe while working!