In recent years, CNC machine has been playing an integral role in some industries. It became a massive boom in the market due to its long list of benefits in comparison to conventional. Now, we have seen various types of CNC machines with their own benefits and unique features. The CNC spindle and CNC router are among the most popular.
Today, let us breakdown what router and spindle generally serve complete certain manufacturing tasks and what makes one different from another.
CNC Spindle Defined
Definitely, an important component in machining to an efficient and quick process. Contained is a rotating assembly with a taper in which you can install tool holders. The motor has some form of optional transmission used to rotate the spindle. This transmission matches the RPMs to the motor’s highest power rpm range – all of which are great for certain feeds and speeds of the material being cut.
You Might Like: CNC Routers for Learners
However, what some people don’t know is that CNC spindle is more than just a machine for holding the tool. Its versatility is one of the essential things you should look forward to. For instance, it is used along with a spring-loaded share to mark invisible features. You can even use it as a fan to blow off coolant and chips of your table, fixturing, and workpiece.
Various industries use spindles to make their operation much smoother and efficient. This includes wood rutting and cutting, foam cutting, embroidery, 3D printing, agriculture, mold manufacturing, aerospace, and glass cutting.
Different Types of Spindle Machine
CNC spindle usually comes in three types:
- Self-contained Spindle: A very popular option, together with the DIY router crowd. It features 10,000 to 30,000 rpm speed, 1.25 HP power, and easy to install using a spindle clamp.
- Cartridge Spindle: This is what all modern VMC utilizes. The cartridge is simple to recreate and swap out while keeping it ongoing. It consists of numerous components, each with unique roles to employ. These include drawbar to draw up the tool holder in the spindle taper, angular contact bearings, drawbar clamp that locks the drawbar on the pull stud, and drive pulley.
- Fabricated Spindle: The most difficult to modify and work with since fabricated spindles are created directly in the spindle head casting. Plus, it doesn’t allow extra room for alteration.
You want your machine to run efficiently. Hence, we strongly suggest being aware of maintenance. Ensure that either you or a worker is trained well in CNC operation. Using the spindle is not an easy task. You should know the basics to complexities to get the most out of your CNC spindle machine. Know when to repair before failure so as to avoid future problems. Look to a remanufacturing specialist to give you a real peace of mind.
CNC Router Defined
CNC router machines are the epitome of advanced sophistication. It is focused on delivering accurate and quality shaping and cutting according to the demands of consumers. Don’t you know, routers have a capability of twenty long production years. It is an automated cutting machine designed to help industries and DIYs increase the manufacturing process productivity while improving the quality of the product.
A wide array of materials can be cut using router including aluminum. It is operated by CAD software to turn to machine a lot easier on your part. The accuracy it offers is next to none which makes the machine the superior option for several manufacturing operations. It helps to decrease material waste. One thing that sets it apart from the conventional options.
Different Types of Router Machine
Here, we have four types of the router as below:
- Industrial CNC Router: Makes up around 80 percent of CNC routers in the market these days. Among the key features include extractors or oil coolers, quicker cutting speeds, high torque, and speed spindles, etc. Most woodworking companies rely on this machine for mass production of doors, furniture, signs, and other products.
- Hobby CNC Router: It is a homemade router, sometimes called desktop CNC router and mini CNC machine due to its lightweight and small size. It is typically designed around budget as well as for home use.
- Mid-range CNC Router: Accurate and precise, mid-range routers are very much the same to the industrial, although they are usually quite smaller and lighter. Extraction system or vacuum tables are not generally included.
- Specialty CNC Router: This is a router machine designed for certain applications. While it is not able to cut woods, it is used by various industries to produce tags, plaques, trophies, and so much more.
CNC router machines can work with different materials. Some cut up to thirty different materials from steel, acrylic, plastic, foam, and wood. Even if you only need one design to cut over again, you can always ask a specialized assistance from this machine. It will never let you down. Because it is not human reliant, the router is much safer and available in some important safety features to minimize any potential accident threats. When choosing a machine, ensure that it meets all your requirements in terms of your cutting needs and the materials you work with.
Recommended: Not-Too Pricey, High-Level CNCs
Differences between a CNC Router and CNC Spindle
There is actually no vast difference in the two machines. Simply putting it, the router is ideal to use for softer projects such as foam, wood, and plastic. It is not necessarily intended for industrial-grade jobs. It is cheap and easy to use though.
On the contrary, spindle machine is either water-cooled or air-cooled. It is quieter than router when in operation as well as runs along withVFD to deliver a far more visual and precise speed control.
So, if you do not prefer a heavy cut without making noise as an issue, the router could be a safe option. Although in production situations, spindle might deliver a more satisfying end result. When choosing which among the two should you pick, bear in mind your budget and personal preference. Do not just grab and grab. Research and compare prices until you land on the right CNC machine for you.