The jewelry industry has become dependent on soldering. This process was used by jewelers even before its other applications were discovered. As the industry is getting advanced and jewelers are becoming more creative, the finished products mostly consist of two metals to produce stunning jewelry pieces. The soldering process makes use of a solder, a metal alloy that can join two different types of metals. Unlike the welding process, soldering iron only needs to melt the solder once heated and not the component being connected. It then creates a strong bond for efficient results.
When looking for the best soldering iron, there are important aspects to consider. Take note that in this field, achieving the proper level of heat is crucial. Therefore, you should check the wattage since it is where the temperature depends and helps you determine how powerful the tool is. It is one way to know the length of time that the iron tip will heat up after you have completed the first set of soldering.
There are different types of soldering iron available in the market. It is, therefore, critical to determining the right kind of tool that you need for jewelry-making. Keep in mind that not all soldering irons may work on making pieces of jewelry. Some of them are plainly for electronics use only.
It is overwhelming to know that the market offers a plethora of products. It is why we have reviewed these products to give you the ideas about the soldering irons suitable for jewelry making. Aside from the value of money, you should also make sure that the product has the features that are essential for your project.
Consider the solder tips, torch, soldering stand, and other components that might be included in the kit. You should also check if the soldering kit has interchangeable tips that would allow you to create designs and decorations on your jewelry or will let you do other projects aside from creating jewelry. So, make sure that you know your purpose before you start shopping. Know if you might also be interested in using it for electronics and other uses. It is also important to think if you need it for repair.
Whether you are an aspiring jeweler or jewelry-making is your favorite hobby, the primary equipment that you will need is the soldering iron. Searching for the best tool that will match your needs can be overwhelming because there are a plethora of choices offered in the market. To make hunting easy and convenient for you, check out these 5 soldering irons along with their features and learn if they are worth every penny!
Detailed Product info & Reviews
(#1.) Iso-Tip #7977 SolderPro 120 Butane Soldering Iron
The Iso-Tip SolderPro is one of the most sought-after soldering products in the industry nowadays. Many users prefer to use a piece of soldering equipment that won’t cause any hassle or inconvenience. This one is the perfect example of a great product that offers convenience. Thanks to its cordless feature, using it has been very easy.
For a better value for money, this tool is highly-recommendable. Complete with a blow torch tip, soldering tip, and a protective cap, all these extras offer additional convenience and resource for the user. It is completely portable, allowing you to transport it anywhere. It can function as a heat knife aside from an excellent torch. With the help of its interchangeable tips, you can do any soldering project that you want.
With its one-year warranty, you can say that the Iso-Tip SolderPro soldering iron is a great choice. When it comes to durability, reliability, and flexibility, this period is enough for you to test if it is a piece of excellent equipment. Once you have it, try all the functionalities it provides so you can experience how valuable it is.
- The Iso-Tip SolderPro soldering iron is one of the perfect must-haves whenever you need a soldering tool for jewelry-making. Whether you are a professional baker or a beginner who is just starting, this one offers a great deal and value for money. No matter you need a soldering iron to connect components or a torch for design, this equipment can handle anything you need.
- It has interchangeable tips that make it versatile and flexible. It is not only perfect for jewelry making, but can also be an excellent device for other purposes such as electronics repair, arts, and crafts, connecting copper pipes, steel metal fixes, and even engine repairs.
- Operate it between 30 to 125 watts. It is easy to use and can be ready 15 seconds after you ignite it. It is also cost-effective because it can last for 120 minutes of operation when in full tank. When choosing a soldering iron, make sure that the tool matches the temperature that you should be working on. With this one, it can provide between 480 to 1000 degrees Fahrenheit which is the usual requirement for metals gold, silver, and bronze. Furthermore, the torch that comes with it also offers 2800 degrees Fahrenheit temperature which is enough to melt gold.
- You will also love it because there is no need to have a power source. It relies on butane gas for it to perform its operation seamlessly. You only need to make sure that you have enough fuel on stock so that you can continuously use it. It can last up to 120 minutes of operation when full tank.
- The soldering tip that comes with it offers a wide variety of uses. Blow torch tip and protective cap are also available to make it more helpful on your projects. This tool is made to be durable and can work for an extended period. It can even withstand extreme room temperature that causes moist and humidity. That means that you can use it for more extended operation without it getting affected by rust or wear and tear.
- Aside from the soldering iron and torch, it comes also with other must-haves that can help you in jewelry making. Other available tools included in the kit are a hot knife, soldering stand, and most important, interchangeable tips.
Even when there is an outage, or you run out of fuel, you can quickly refill it to keep it working again. Butane gas is available in the market so make sure that you have it on the stock before you start soldering. Getting it ready all the time prevents the hassle and inconvenience in having to pause your project. Make sure you have it stored in a safe place in your soldering station to avoid fire accident.
Other usages of Iso-Tip SolderPro soldering iron are shrink tubing, jewelry repair, joining electrical components, vehicle repairs, connecting broken wires of a TV set and other appliances, fixing sensitive circuit boards, tighten loose nuts and bolts, and many more.
One thing that would surely impress every user is that this tool has a cordless model. You, therefore, don’t have to worry when you need to solder hard-to-reach areas because no cord would interrupt your job. Since jewelry-making would sometimes require you to solder tiny pieces, it is a perfect device that would surely let you do your work with ease and comfort.
Aside from being cordless, you can also use it immediately after heating. It doesn’t require a lot of turnarounds for you to be able to use it. It doesn’t even rely on electric power for it to function. Therefore, it is a perfect tool when your soldering area has a power interruption. You don’t have to worry even when there is an outage affecting the area because of this impressive feature.
We cannot deny the fact that this tool is one of the best options in the market. Its multifunctional allows it to provide a wide variety of functionalities to the user. It is perfect for making jewelry because it includes a torch that is used for melting iron.
Compared to other high-quality models, the Iso-Tip SolderPro soldering iron is a bit pricey. It costs a slightly higher price than average, which is more than double that of some of the other products on this list. But if you don’t mind the cost of this tool, it can still be a great option because it contains features and properties that other products don’t have.
The Iso-Tip SolderPro soldering iron may be a good deal, but there are drawbacks as well. If you are going to compare it from other models, you will find that it is slower to heat. If you are not rushing the projects that you have to finish, then, it might be a good option. However, if you need to work on several components to solder, you need to have patience while waiting for it to heat up.
Another thing to consider is the price of the product. If you are a beginner and just doing the soldering for your DIY projects or trying to learn the basics, then you might find this one expensive. But if you are a professional and willing to sustain your soldering business, then this tool might be a considerable choice.
The price of the product should be based on your purpose. If you only need to use it temporarily like minor repairs, then, you may check other less expensive soldering irons that we have mentioned in this page.
What We Like
- Flame torch for melting precious metals
- Butane powered, so no need to plug into a wall
- Interchangeable tips
What We Don’t Like
- Might be slower to heat compared to other models
For its versatility when it comes to jewelry making, as well as other soldering iron uses, this one has earned our Editor’s Choice Award! Whether you are etching a design on metal, working with precious metals that need a high temperature torch, or soldering a ring, The Iso-Tip #7977 SolderPro 120 can do all of what you require from a great soldering iron and probably a whole lot more.
(#2.) Magneto’s Superb 14 Pieces Set Adjustable Temperature Soldering Iron Gun Kit 60W – 110V
When it comes to versatility, let Magneto’s Superb soldering iron be your top choice. The kit does not only include a soldering iron and soldering wire, but it also comes with other essential pieces such as a desoldering pump, a self-cleaning sponge stand, wire stripper cutter, solder sucker, five pieces soldering iron tips, and anti-static tweezers. A free carrier bag is also included so that you can bring these extras anywhere you want to.
This brand stands out because you can use it for different projects such as DIY, jewelry-making, and electronics repair and installation. All its essentials are very helpful, allowing you to use it for various purposes. The soldering iron tips that come with it make it a beginner-friendly kind of tool.
This nine-piece kit offers a 45-day warranty. That gives you the opportunity to test the product and see if it can meet your expectations. However, this warranty period is shorter compared to other soldering products. Some provide one-year warranty so make sure that you also consider this aspect. But if you don’t mind the length of the warranty, you can focus on the features and other values that this soldering iron can give you.
- All soldering irons, regardless of their purposes and functionality, should be equipped with safety features. Keep in mind that you will be dealing with heat and anything that can lead to an accident. Thankfully, this tool is something that you need when you want to have a peace of mind while using it. It was designed to be safe for users. Although it can heat quickly, it also easily cools down after a few minutes of operation.
- Magneto’s Superb has auto shut-off features. Beginners don’t need to have extensive training if they want to learn the turnarounds of this tool because it automatically shuts down when not in use. That protects the user against accident or burn. It also includes an advanced soldering stand, a tool where you can place the soldering iron instead of putting it in any surface. That is another safety feature that you wouldn’t want to resist.
The design and materials of Magneto’s Superb are toxic-free to ensure that it has no environmental effects. Furthermore, this product was certified and approved by regulating agencies such as ROHS, FCC, and CE before it was introduced in the market. Its handle is also impressive because it is made of soft grip to make you feel comfortable while soldering. It prevents slipping and transmission of heat going to this area for additional safety.
It is also worth noting that the Magneto’s Superb is equipped with a steel pipe that quickly heats up. That means that this tool is also time-saving to use.
Many users who have bought the product stated that it is competitive just like any other soldering iron tools. That is because you can have the complete set for a very low price. Now, you don’t have to break the bank when you need a soldering tool for whatever project you may have.
Despite the beneficial features of this tool, it is not perfect just like any other product in the market. It also comes with minor drawbacks that you should be aware of.
The drawback that we are seeing is not on the soldering iron device itself, but on the soldering stand that comes with it. It is very lightweight which can easily fall at a slight push. So, make sure that you place it on a flat surface, and the table is not moving. You can use a non-flammable material for the table to prevent accidental burn. It gets hot quickly as well, so make sure that you follow these tips to avoid an accident.
Lastly, the warranty service is shorter compared to other soldering irons being offered in the market. You may consider this one if you need a tool that can last for an extended period most especially if you use it regularly. It can be the best choice if you only need the soldering iron temporarily or when you need to do simple fixes.
What We Like
- Turns off when not in use
- Heats up quickly
- Non-slip handle
What We Don’t Like
- Iron won’t stay in stand
- Stand light weight and can easily fall over
- Some failed after a few uses
One of the best cheap soldering irons out there. The Magneto’s Superb 14 Pieces Set is a great way for novice jewelry workers to get a feel for the soldering process without breaking the bank. Newbie DIYers out there can rest at ease. This iron will be a great tool for helping you ease your way into your craft.
(#3.) YOUSHARES Adjustable Temperature Soldering Iron Kit 7-in-1
Using the wonders of technology, the YouShares Soldering Iron is one of the most sought-after tools in the industry of electronics. Included in the 7-in-1 soldering kit are valuable essentials such as solder wire, 5 soldering tips, 60W 110V soldering gun pen with on/off switch, toolbox, and stand with cleaning sponge, anti-static tweezers, and solder sucker.
- Its flexibility allows it to be suitable in different kinds of soldering works like electronics and most of all, jewelry-making. It is also suitable to use when your soldering requires decorating or great designs. The manufacturer made some improvements on YouShares soldering iron. It is now equipped with a switch that is easy to turn on and off.
- The kit comes with six different tips, making it highly suitable for jewelry decorating. Other useful tools that you can utilize on jewelry-making are soldering wire and solder stand. Both play an essential role in achieving your desired results.
- This soldering iron should be operated at 60 watts power. You may also adjust it in different temperatures between 200 to 240 degrees Celsius. That allows you to match the capability of the tool to the required heat that you need in soldering. Keep in mind that meeting the right temperature is crucial in this process regardless of the project that you are trying to make.
- It is also time-saving to use because of its ceramic heater core that provides quick heat. It is essential in soldering to make sure that the quality of your craft won’t be compromised. You can also bring this kit anywhere because it comes with a carrying case for easy transportation. It doesn’t occupy too much space and can be conveniently stored.
- The most important feature that every soldering iron must possess is its ability to regulate temperature. It is crucial to consider this aspect because the outcome of your project also relies on it. This tool never fails to provide this essential value.
This tool is suitable for jewelry making because of the additional equipment included in the kit. Pieces of jewelry usually consist of small components. Therefore, it is designed to hold the tiniest pieces to make the job easier for you. You don’t have to worry when you need to use it for extended hours. The non-slip grip with comfortable rubber was effectively created to prevent your hands from getting fatigued.
It is also worth noting that this soldering iron, along with the other tools included in the kit, is easy to use. You don’t have to spend too much time in learning the ways to use it correctly. Even beginners won’t find it difficult to use. They can also refer to the easy-to-follow instructions if they want to check the different usage of this soldering kit.
If you are looking for both quality and affordability, YouShares is something that you should check out when you shop. For a very affordable price, you can already do a lot of varied projects aside from jewelry-making. You will find this price a great deal despite the impressive features of this tool.
We are happy with the features of YouShares soldering iron. However, there is one drawback that catches our attention. This soldering iron has settings that you can adjust to meet the requirements needed in your soldering project, but the writings on the dial are too small, making it difficult to see.
What We Like
- Easy to regulate the temperature
- A variety of tools and soldering tips.
What We Don’t Like
- No warranty information
- No manual included
- settings on the dial are too small to read
The YOUSHARES Adjustable Temperature Soldering Iron Kit is a nice backup soldering kit to have on standby if you ever have trouble with your main one. Give it a try. It’s quick and easy to learn to use.
(#4.) 6-in-1 Electric Soldering Iron Kit, FlePow 60W Adjustable Temperature Welding Soldering Iron
For extensive types of projects, this 6-in-1 electric soldering iron kit is a must-have. It will never fail you when you are looking for a reliable tool that can help you with a variety of projects. It comes with 6 different soldering tips that allow every user to perform their purpose with ease and convenience.
It comes with other essential extras such as anti-static tweezers, cleaning sponge, desoldering pump, and soldering pump. Aside from using it for jewelry making, it can also be the best tool for repair of mobile devices and electronics.
This product has a 12-month warranty, which is longer than any other products. That gives you a peace of mind that this tool is made of high-quality materials that offer durability. With this in mind, we can say that the manufacturer of this soldering iron kit is confident that their product has everything that would satisfy the users.
- This 6-in-1 soldering iron kit is equipped with a ceramic heater core that provides quick heating. It operates at 60W which is enough for it to function properly and provide you the right temperature. Using it is time-saving, and you don’t have to wait for several minutes for it to heat up. So, if you need to work on several pieces of jewelry, this tool is a perfect fit.
- One thing that makes it stand out is its flexibility not only because it includes other extras that can be used for soldering. It also offers flexible temperature options ranging from 200 to 450 degrees Celsius. Various soldering projects have different temperature requirements. Therefore, you cannot only use it for jewelry making alone, but it can also be helpful in electronics repair, DIY projects, and many other functionalities.
The overall design of this soldering iron is impressive. You will find its rubber handle comfortable to hold. You don’t have to worry about it from slipping because the grip is soft. No matter you use it for an extended period; the handle was perfectly designed to ensure that you can finish the project with ease.
The tool also comes with a carrying case so that you can conveniently bring it anywhere. You can store it conveniently without requiring too much space. It is also made of iron plated tip that helps regulate heat evenly. The steel material from which it was designed provides durability. Overall, you will find quality desirable. Its properties and functionalities will remain stable even when you are going to use it for an extended period.
This 6-in-1 soldering iron kit is reliable in every type of project. Whether you are going to use it for electronic works, repair of appliances, fixing of mobile devices, and installing small accessories, this equipment will never fail you. Furthermore, if you are a jewelry-maker, it is also a must-try! It is perfect for beginners and professionals who want a durable soldering iron with flexible functionalities.
With this tool, you can work anywhere without the need for a physical soldering station. Although a soldering station is crucial for safety, this soldering iron is still designed to be safe to use. Its body is constructed with a stainless steel and designed with iron plated tip. The overall appearance and build of this soldering iron make it reliable and durable for prolonged use.
We love the qualities and value of this soldering kit. However, just like any other soldering products sold in the market, we can see a few drawbacks as well. This soldering iron is powered by electric which means that you cannot use it when an outage occurs. You need to have a back-up plan if you are in an area that is frequently affected by power interruption.
We have also noticed that it is difficult and tiresome to use most especially when you need to solder several components. This problem is due to its weight which is 7 ounces. Although it is suitable for making jewelry, you only have to do those that have plain designs.
In jewelry making, it is essential that the equipment is powerful enough to melt gold. However, this one misses this feature.
What We Like
- Designed for safe use
What We Don’t Like
- Not hot enough to melt gold
- not for industrial use
Although this tool is not as ideal for jewelry making as say a butane powered soldering torch, it has some great tools for soldering work. When your butane soldering torch is out of fuel, this one can work great as a temp backup plan for small jewelry work.
(#5.) Soldering Iron Tool Kit, 110V 60W Adjustable Temperature Welding Soldering Iron with 7 pcs iPhone Professional Repair Tools
When you need a soldering iron with extensive functionalities, this kit is something that you need. It is equipped with extra features that can make your job easier and faster. It makes use of advanced technology to provide users with a great and convenient experience during the soldering process. You can perform different projects seamlessly without worrying about the outcomes. May it be for a piece of decorative jewelry or simple designs of this piece never miss some of the features of this soldering iron that you might need.
- Perfect for various purposes, this soldering iron serves as an all-in-one source if you need to work on several projects that require tremendous effort. It is suitable for several repairs including computer hardware, mobile devices, TV sets, electronic boards, and many more. If it is useful for other projects, then it is also a great choice when you are looking for a reliable tool in jewelry making.
- One application that makes it stands out is for iPhone mobile repair. It can be used for different models like 5s, 5, 6s, 6, 6s Plus, and many more. It is suitable for industrial manufacturing most especially when your business is mobile repair. Its heat resistant handle provides extra safety to users. It is crucial for users to be safe while soldering and this one have the quality to provide that requirement.
- Other extras included in the tip are a pair of tweezers, solder tip cleaning wire, and 5 pieces soldering tips. These compositions make it a perfect choice when you are a beginner who is trying to learn the techniques of jewelry making. Even professionals also use it because of the interchangeable tips that help them work for a specific project. May it be a rework or a repair purpose, this tool has you covered!
- Another essential thing to take note of is that this tool quickly heats up at 60W. It functions as plug-and-play and operates at 110V. It is a perfect piece for jewelry making due to its adjustable temperature ranging between 200 to 450 degrees Celsius. It means that you can use it for different metals in jewelry such as gold, bronze, and silver.
- Its five soldering tips offer a great flexibility, allowing you to use it for many varied purposes. It comes with a carrying case that allows you to transport and store it. It is a great option for connecting the tiny components of jewelry. We know that jewelry, regardless of its design, is usually made of small metals that require your effort to connect them perfectly. This tool can help you do this job seamlessly and achieve the best results.
- This deal is also attractive for many users because it can also be used when you need to remove a solder. With the help of solder sucker that comes with it, it can quickly remove solder that was mistakenly soldered on a joint or circuit board. This tool is made of aluminum alloy mixed with a plastic material. As a result, it is lightweight yet a powerful solution to correct your project and achieve better results.
The design of this soldering iron is attractive. The steel metal has a fine finish, giving you confidence that it can withstand wear and tear or prolonged use. Environmental factors like moist or humidity are not a problem because it was made to be durable. It is also made of heat-resistant material to ensure that it is safe for you to use it and prevent burn.
Furthermore, it has a LED light indicator that serves as a signal telling you that the tool is turned on. It may just be a small component in this equipment but still plays a significant role in safety and protection. Knowing that it is on will help you avoid accidental burn. It will help you determine if the tool is still functional. The safety of the user should always be considered when you are shopping for soldering equipment, and this one won’t fail you.
It is also an energy-efficient choice because it has on/off switch that allows you to turn it off when not in use quickly. It prevents energy wastage that can also help you save money. The switch allows you to immediately respond whenever you mistakenly solder a piece. You can easily turn it off without hassle to prevent further issues. Another advantage brought by this feature is it enhances the user’s safety. It can protect you from accidental burn by immediately switching it off.
Unlike other tools, this one has a handle made of silicon. This design offers heat-resistance benefits to make it safe for the user. Another thing to take note of is the anti-slip design. We couldn’t underestimate this feature because it helps you do strenuous projects that usually take time to complete. Therefore, it is essential that you can hold the soldering iron very well and comfortably. You will appreciate this aspect when there are several metals that you need to solder.
This soldering iron kit is also designed for easy cleaning. The kit comes with solder tip cleaning wire which functions by holding the soldering iron when hot. It provides safety which is very important to consider when looking for a reliable tool. It is a better option when compared to conventional sponges. Aside from that, you can also make sure that this tool can last longer even after the warranty period as long as you also take care of it.
This soldering iron doesn’t need water for water. Because of it, it prevents wear and tear of the soldering iron tips. Furthermore, it avoids the transmission of contaminating objects that can affect the quality of your jewelry.
Although this tool may seem great, there are drawbacks that we have noticed as well. If you are a beginner, the first thing that you would want to see first is the user manual. It could be an issue for those who haven’t heard the terms being used on the instructions. The user manual is a bit complex, making it hard for users, most especially those who are not tech savvy, to understand the steps.
Another thing to take note of is that you have to wait for a few minutes for it to cool down. Therefore, it can be time-consuming to use most especially when you need to solder several components that would require you to use the soldering iron for a prolonged period.
There is also a possibility that the solder tip becomes weak. However, there is a solution to this issue to avoid it. Avoid overheating the tool and make sure that you are following the correct heating requirements. You can lengthen the lifespan of this equipment by using the proper heat and ensure not to exceed the suggested temperature. Also, do not keep the soldering on when not in use. Make sure to turn it off after use.
What We Like
- Comes with a solder cleaning tip
What We Don’t Like
- Takes too long to heat up and cool down
- Solder tip can become weak over time
All these product suggestions are great options, but only one stands out among the rest. Iso-Tip #7977 SolderPro 120 Butane Soldering Iron is one that works for your needs. It is worth noting that this soldering iron kit is suitable for jewelry-makers whether they are beginners or professionals.
The rule of the thumb is to select a tool that perfectly goes with the project that you want to do. And for jewelry-making, the SolderPro is undoubtedly the best recommendation. One thing that attracted us and made us say that it is worth investing is its quality. That is also proven by its warranty which lasts up to one year.
Although the other products are also functional, SolderPro provides excellent functionality. It is not only suitable for soldering alone but can also be the best ally when you need a tool that can melt gold. It is also perfect for the desoldering process.
Although it is quite expensive than the other similar soldering irons, it is still a good choice. That is because it is durable and can withstand environmental factors to extend its life span. Therefore, we cannot underestimate the quality of this tool. It is made of high-quality material to make it useful for extended purposes.
It also captures our attention because it only relies on butane gas for fuel. That means that it is not only flexible for various purposes, but can also be a helpful whenever there is a power outage. It allows you to use it anywhere and anytime without having to worry about the interruption. As long as your soldering iron is the full tank, it can be the most reliable tool when you need it for repair, DIY projects, and most of all, for making jewelry.
If this one doesn’t sound appealing for you, you can also check out the other products that were previously mentioned. They are also great options if you need value for money. They are inexpensive choices that would surely fit your budget. Start shopping now and consider them in your list.