Your soldering station is another crucial part of the soldering process. Not only those safety procedures should be practiced, but it is also critical that you can move comfortably. It is also essential that all the tools are just within your reach so that you can quickly get and return them on their place whenever needed.
Above all, your safety also matters. Make sure that all your things and equipment are well-organized. Ensure that they are all clean as well. For additional safety, your working place should also receive proper ventilation. Let the windows open while you are working for you to avoid inhaling the fume produced by soldering. Wear safety glasses at the same time to prevent eye irritation caused by chemicals and flame.
Your workplace should also be well-lit. Make sure that the overhead lamp is bright enough so you can easily see the smallest pieces that you need to work on. Invest for a bright light so that you can easily see the little pieces while you are connecting them. Don’t forget to make sure that the place should also be either fire-resistant or fire-proof.
The soldering station allows you to lay down your materials. There are a lot of things that you need to consider for it to match your needs perfectly. Your soldering station must also have a fire brick for extra safety. You may also prefer a heat resistance pad as an alternative. Put some items that you may frequently use such as solder and flux, paintbrush, water, a pair of copper tongs, and a pickle pot.
All things in your soldering station, including oxygen tanks, torch, fuel, and soldering stand must be put into a flat surface. Your table should be stable so that the objects that might cause fire will not fall. Remember that some of the materials you need are flammable, so ensure that they won’t touch things that may lead to the fire accident. If possible, use a metal table so that it won’t easily spread fire when fuel accidentally drops and catches flame. Avoid putting your torch in a place where there is an open flame or even electrical sockets.
As a way of preparation, we have rounded up five of the best soldering stations in 2019. These recommendations are based on user-experience, quality, and affordability. We also check if the items have drawbacks. That will allow you to weigh your decision and determine if you made the right decision. So, use the following reviews as your guidance before shopping!
X-Tronic Model #3020-XTS Digital Display Soldering Iron Station – 10 Minute Sleep Function, Auto Cool Down, C/F Switch, Ergonomic Soldering Iron, Solder Holder, Brass Tip Cleaner with Cleaning Flux
Detailed Product Info & Reviews
(#1.) X-Tronic 3020-XTS Soldering Station with Digital Display
X-Tronic 3020-XTS is one of the most sought-after soldering stations being used by many soldering pros nowadays. If you are looking for an innovative tool that contains advanced features, then you should give it a try! It was manufactured by Xtronic, one of the leading innovators of many soldering supplies in the United States. The 10-minute sleep function, C/F switch, auto cool down, high-quality soldering iron, and soldering brass tip cleaner with cleaning flux are just a few of its desirable extras that enhance the functionality of this excellent soldering station.
- X-Tronic 3020-XTS is equipped with a powerful 75-watt soldering station and jam-packed with innovative features. Many professionals can’t resist its digital control, which helps the user operate the tool seamlessly. This essential component serves as an indicator that allows you to determine if the temperature is already enough for your soldering project.
- It also includes an iron stand made of stainless steel to ensure that it can withstand the environmental factors that may cause rust. The dial control is easy to operate and helpful for you to easily regulate the level of heat. You only need to turn the base on to make it function. Then, a blue digital display will appear as soon as you turn the knob. It will then start to read the temperature needed for your soldering process.
- As the iron heats the right level of temperature, the display will then indicate the current operating temperature of the soldering tip. The scale can be set between 200 to 480 degrees Celsius, or equivalent to 392 to 896 degrees Fahrenheit. Therefore, you can use either Celsius or Fahrenheit without doing the math.
- A long silicone cord connects the base unit to the soldering iron. This component is heat-resistant to provide the user an extra safety. It is also convenient to use because the power cord is about 50 inches long, which is enough to reach the wall plug at that distance. Another crucial thing that enhances the overall functionality of this soldering station is the sponge and brass sponge tip cleaner that is also located at the base of the equipment. Also included is a supply of cleaning flux that is ready to use when you need it.
- Keep in mind that this model only comes with one soldering tip. If you want to use it for flexible projects, you may also find other tips suitable for this model. You may also use the tips that are made for Hakko soldering irons.
- The manufacturer of this soldering station made sure that they utilize the technology effectively. This model is equipped with PID, or Proportional Integral Derivative Technology, which helps in regulating the temperature of the soldering tip. The cycle runs every 20 milliseconds and can read the accurate temperature of the soldering tip. Its impressive feature doesn’t stop at that point. It can adjust itself automatically to maintain the smooth temperature that you have set. Therefore, regardless of the workload, you can focus on the primary process of soldering without having to worry for the heat level.
- It is also worth noting that this soldering station is also equipped with an automatic cool down cycle, so you don’t have to set it manually. However, it heats up quickly and goes from operating temperature to room temperature without calculating the cycle. The automatic sleep function is also helpful during this process. The tool switches to sleep mode when placed at the soldering holder for about 10 minutes. It prevents overheating and protects the element from getting burned.
- Even the handle of the X-Tronic 3020-XTS is competitive. It is made of ergonomic grip that produces a comfortable soldering process even when you use it for extended periods.
For only a moderateley expensive price, you can already enjoy an innovative soldering station jam-packed with helpful features to deliver a seamless soldering process. Some of its qualities are rarely found in many soldering stations with the same price. It also offers three years of warranty service, which is longer than any other soldering kit in the market. It gives you confidence that you are getting the best product and value for money.
The warranty service includes the repair whenever some of its parts have defects. A 30-day money back guarantee is also available so that you can test if it is something that meets your needs.
Although it seems perfect, we have seen one drawback that you might want to know, too. Take note that this soldering station doesn’t have the essential soldering tips that might be useful for many types of soldering jobs such as electronic repairs and jewelry making. Although it is found to be a great option when you want to do some DIY projects, having different tips will enable it to become flexible and useful in some other ways.
What We Like
- Automatic cool down feature
- Digital display
- A three year warranty
- Heats up very quickly
What We Don’t Like
- Additional tips sold separately
(#2.) Weller WLC100 40-Watt Soldering Station
When it comes to practicality and convenience, the Weller WLC100 soldering station would capture your attention. It is one of the favorite must-haves of many soldering professionals who are typically working in jewelry-making, electronics, device repairs, and stained-glass industry. It has a lot of features that you shouldn’t miss.
- One of the things that you should consider is the weight of the product. Take note that some soldering works will require you to extend your effort to create a strong connection. This one won’t fail you in this matter. It is lightweight, which contributes to comfortable handling. Now, you don’t have to worry when you need to accept larger projects because this one is not only easy to use but can be easily controlled as well. Being able to work comfortably is one thing that you should look after a soldering station.
- The Weller WLC100 soldering station has a wide range of applications. Some of them include electronics, jewelry item, circuit boards, and mobile devices. Another feature that makes it a practical choice is the on and off switch. It is very convenient to operate without requiring you to practice a lot and make it function properly. You can press the buttons without too much effort. In that way, you can immediately act whenever you mistakenly soldered a piece without proper positioning. It allows you to switch it off and fix the soldered item quickly.
- It has also a LED indicator light that alerts the user whenever the tool is in function mode. Having this one can make you safe from the accidental burn. It also indicates whether the soldering iron is powered on. So, aside from the safety that it offers, it is also essential in knowing if the device is ready to use. Whether you are creating a piece of jewelry or repairing an electronic device, operating the Weller WLC100 soldering station won’t be a problem.
- Weller has improved their soldering products ever since and this one is an excellent example of innovation and impressive functionality. It comes with a soldering iron, built-in iron stand, and ST3 tip. The entire package has been one of the best-selling products in the market and mostly preferred by beginners.
- You can’t also resist the power control dial that comes with it. This component allows you to adjust the power between 5 to 40 watts offers proper setting. It can produce up to 900 degrees Fahrenheit temperature, making it suitable for a wide array of large soldering projects.
- Despite being one of the lightest soldering stations in the market, it is still considered one of the best qualities. The cushioned foam grip provides a comfortable handle so that the user can withstand lengthy soldering procedure. It also includes an ST3 iron-plated tip which plays a significant role in the impressive performance of this soldering tool. The 1/8-inch screwdriver tip enables it to stays durable despite prolonged use.
- Although its handle is made of rubber, you don’t have to worry because it is still designed to be heat-resistant. It allows you to work comfortably and at the same time, keeps you safe from the accidental burn. The grip offers convenience so that you can withstand a prolonged soldering session.
- The built-in soldering holder helps the user to set the soldering tool aside when not in use. It also includes a cleaning sponge to ensure that any residue is removed since it can affect the quality of the soldered metal. The solder won’t easily connect the two pieces if any debris or dust covers it. So, this one is a helpful tool.
Buying the Weller WL100 for a very affordable price is not bad after all those qualities we have mentioned. It is one of the reasons why it is attractive for beginners who want to learn how to use a soldering iron regardless of their purpose. Whether they want to use it for their hobby or to use for their growing business, this tool is a perfect choice.
This soldering station may seem perfect, but like other tools, it has flaws as well. We wish this equipment also includes a temperature indicator. Keep in mind that the heat level plays a significant role in the outcome of your project. Therefore, having temperature info is equally important so that you can determine if you have reached the proper power level.
What We Like
- Has wide applications
- Sponge covers a wider area
- Light-weight base
- Comfortable grip
What We Don’t Like
- No temperature indicator
- It can burn components if not careful
(#3.) Hakko FX888D-23BY Digital Soldering Station
Hakko has been around for many years, creating high-quality soldering tools that are perfect for different types of soldering works. One of their models, the Hakko FX888D-23BY Digital Soldering Station, is competitive equipment that can handle the soldering process with ease and convenience. It is known for its innovative features. It is the updated version of FX888 which means that you can expect this tool to be more advanced than its predecessor.
- One of the first things that we want to highlight is its adjustable temperature control, making it attractive for many soldering professionals. It is required to meet the accurate temperature during the soldering process, and this one will never fail you. It provides you your desired output and allows you to monitor the heat level by looking at its digital display. In that way, you can make some adjustment when necessary to ensure that the quality of your work won’t be compromised. It has a preset mode with a password function that helps the user set the temperature to the exact level.
- Another notable feature that is worth mentioning is its thermal recovery. Compared to its predecessors and other soldering products in the market, this one has a 30% higher heater output that enables it to heat up quickly. Equipped with T18 series, the Hakko FX888D-23BY model has more improved heat conductivity and thermal recovery.
- This feature is critical during the process because it allows you to solder using a low temperature and at the same time, you can minimize the impact of heat to the components involved to prevent them from getting damaged. Another crucial contribution of the thermal recovery is it reduces the tip oxidation so that the soldering tip will stay durable despite prolonged use.
- If you are a beginner and just trying to learn the turnarounds of the soldering process, this model can be useful for you. It has a user-friendly format which means that you can operate it without extensive training or special skills. There are only two options in the setting, which are up and enter. This set-up provides an easy and convenient way of adjusting the temperature. It also includes an iron holder that is specially designed to unclutter the area and organize each material.
- Another reason that makes Hakko FX888D-23BY a beginner-friendly model is its digital display that shows both Fahrenheit and Celsius format. You can set it between 120 to 899 degrees Fahrenheit, or equivalent to 50 to 480 degrees Celsius. It is also very rare to find a password protected temperature setting similar to this model. It gives the tool improved security and safety so that no one can try to use it that may cause an accident. It also prevents anyone from altering the setting when you are not around.
- It also includes a wide variety of soldering tips that allows it to handle many types of soldering jobs. It is perfect for electronic repairs, interior designs, home improvement ideas, DIY projects, and many more. This unit can heat up after a few seconds to save your time and let you do continuous types of soldering jobs.
- One distinct feature that sets this unit apart from the competition is it can let you preset up to five temperatures and put a password on it. It has a lightweight handle to give you a stress-free experience while soldering. You can easily maneuver it without feeling fatigue. This model only weighs 4.5 pounds, allowing it to be portable and can fit at any limited space.
- Regardless of the soldering project that you want to do, the Hakko FX888D-23BY is worth investing although there are cheaper options in the market. It is made for professionals and beginners who are looking for a sophisticated design, durable, and something that won’t fail you when you want to perform a wide array of soldering projects.
- With its simple and easy operation, you don’t have to spend more time to practice and become expert in controlling this model. It is very straightforward and can be used anytime without difficulties. The dimensions of 100 x 120 width and depth respectively result to a soldering station with a compact design. It can occupy less space and produces a well-organized and less cluttered working place.
The Hakko FX888D-23BY costs a moderately high price and can be worth an investment for many soldering pros.
The function buttons may be easy to use but can still cause inaccurate adjustment of temperature because you only have two choices. You won’t be able to go back to the previous temperature if, for example, you have accidentally pressed the up button. Although it can handle different types of soldering jobs, it still lacks some tips that might be useful for extensive soldering jobs.
The Hakko FX888D-23BY might also be expensive for some users and beginners. Other products also include more extensive features while costing much less compared to this model. If you are starting out and only want to use it for a few times, then you may also find other soldering stations that fit your budget.
What We Like
- Adjustable temperature with LCD display
- Password protected temperature setting
- Additional soldering tips included for a variety of uses
What We Don’t Like
- Can be difficult to control tempurature
- Price too high to justify lack of some features
- Warranty covers for only 90 days
(#4.) Aoyue 469 Variable Power 60-Watt Soldering Station
Aoyue 469 soldering station offers a convenient way of soldering process due to its useful features specially designed for your projects. It includes a 469 iron, soldering iron, iron stand, adjustable temperature, and temperature monitoring station to ensure that the settings match your soldering needs. It is one of the most flexible equipment we have seen in the market. No wonder it is making its name in the industry, and most professionals love how it works.
- Aoyue 469 soldering station comes with a removal T-I tip that makes the tool flexible in many types of soldering jobs. Use it for mobile devices, electronics, DY projects, connecting stained-glasses, and various soldering works. It is also recommendable for many soldering businesses regardless of their specializations because you can also find 50 more soldering tips in the market that are also suitable for this model. That enables you to work on any soldering project that is thrown at you!
- Its range of temperature is another impressive feature that makes this model stand out. The temperature ranges from 200 to 480 degrees Celsius, or equivalent to 392 to 897 degrees Fahrenheit. Keep in mind that this tool can heat up quickly to help you save your time. Furthermore, it can also change from room temperature to operating temperature at a speedy time without compromising the quality of your project. This feature is provided by the PTC element that contributes to its efficient.
- Aoyue 469 soldering station has a knob that allows you to set up the proper temperature to ensure that you are going the right way. It is one of the crucial parts of this soldering station because it is where the accurate temperature is made. The knob has numbers from one to eight that enables you to adjust the level of heat. With the help of the dual color LED display, you can see the exact status of the temperature so that you can make some adjustments when needed.
- It is also worth noting that Aoyue 469 soldering station has a cleaning tray and a sponge that is used for keeping it clean. You can use it to clean the soldering gun and remove the build-up of debris on the tip. In this way, you can prolong the lifespan of the tool and maintain its seamless performance.
- It is made of a ceramic element that helps this equipment to heat up quickly. At the same time, it is also made to be durable so that it can withstand a variety of soldering process. You are free to choose among its 50 different tip sizes that perfectly match your soldering needs.
- When it comes to safety, this soldering station is also a great choice. It has a spool stand and a spring holder that come with it. Both of these components are accessible so that you have a safe place where you can put the soldering gun while it is hot. This well-organized part is essential for the safety and protection of the user.
- If you are a beginner and haven’t tried soldering yet, you can refer to the user manual included in this soldering station. It is also suitable for places with the only 110V to the 120V power supply voltage. The package doesn’t contain a battery because it mainly relies on external source power supply. The on and off button allows you to use it continuously without having to plug the solder every time you want to use it.
The package also doesn’t contain a solder, but you still have the choice to purchase it separately. It’s pretty affordable, and it is still cheaper than most stations even if you are going to buy the solder as well.
We have noticed that like any other soldering stations in the market, this product has flaws as well. The tip can fall out when operated using high temperatures. This issue can prevent you from working on large projects that require strenuous soldering work before you can create a durable connection. Therefore, it is suitable for mini-construction work and must be taken with great care when you need to solder large components. Prolonged use at high temperatures can shorten the lifespan of this tool.
What We Like
- Wide temperature range
- Heats up quickly
- 50 different tips available for it
What We Don’t Like
- Tip can fall out during soldering
- Can fail after strenuous useage
- Only a 6 month warranty
(#5.) Sywon 60W ESD Soldering Iron B01N4571Q6
Sywon 60W ESD soldering iron is a helpful tool that offers three different versions to match your soldering needs. Each version is equipped with useful features that provide convenience. The first one is the Basic version which includes a temperature module. A Pro Version is also available that is composed of a helping hand magnifier. Lastly, the most upgraded one is equipped with a digital display. Prices also vary according to their level.
The reputation of Sywon is unstoppable because it continues to prove its spot in the industry. It creates innovative soldering products that utilize every piece of benefit that technology can provide. The Sywon 60W unit is an evidence of its passion in bringing the industry a desirable tool with varieties of usage. Whether you are a beginner or a booming soldering professional, you can consider this equipment in many types of soldering works like electronic repair, jewelry-making, and even DIY hobbies.
- Sywon 60W ESD soldering iron stands out using its distinct features that attract many soldering professionals. Its manufacturer, Sywon, is famous for being one of the solder makers that put innovation and technology on their craft. This model got the specifications needed by soldering enthusiasts and hobbyists. Even the smallest part of this soldering station plays a significant role in its functionality and performance.
- It comes with five extra tips that are suitable for various kinds of soldering works. Whether you need a broad chisel for soldering medium components or an excellent tip for larger projects, this Sywon 60W ESD soldering iron has you covered. The soldering tips that come with it can help you work on different types of materials because they all work on extensive soldering jobs.
- This soldering station also comes with on/off switch, so you don’t have to plug it in before starting every session. In that way, you can save time from doing the same process over again. It also allows the user to adjust the temperature to achieve accurate results. Temperature is essential to come up with high-quality results, and it is also responsible for strengthening the soldered connections.
- The Sywon 60W ESD soldering iron has a minimum temperature of 200 degrees Celsius and can heat up to 4500 degrees Celsius. These ranges are adjustable to ensure that you will use only the required amount of heat that matches with your project and material. It has an intuitive and user-friendly design so that you don’t have to learn a lot of turnarounds before doing what you love.
- The LED light designed on its body is also helpful to monitor the temperature of the tool. That allows you to adjust the heat level according to the requirement. You can easily set it to the precise temperature that works best for the material that you are working on. Aside from this critical component of the soldering station, it is also designed with an upgraded ceramic that is heat resistant. This portion prevents the material from melting or getting damaged.
- Furthermore, Sywon 60W ESD soldering iron is designed to heat up quickly to save your time. It also includes a metallic stand with a cleaning sponge. It is a safe place where you can put the hot soldering iron to prevent any accident. It is also used to clean the tool to remove the soldered debris that gathered in the soldering tip. In that way, it will be ready to use next time you need. It is also essential in maintaining the lifespan of your equipment despite prolonged use.
- Even the smallest features of Sywon 60W make it desirable equipment for soldering. It is an excellent choice when you want something that comes with a carrying bag. It is portable, allowing you to bring it anywhere you want to do your project. You can pack it easily and organize all the items inside the case.
- Anyone will also feel confident in using it because it is not only affordable, but it also has a one-year warranty. That gives you enough time to test the quality of the product and see its benefits. You can also save money from repair within that period whenever there are defects in its material. However, it is still important to clean the tool after use for it to reach its designed lifespan.
- Sywon 60W ESD soldering iron has long cords so that you can work conveniently. It enables you to move at your work station freely. Furthermore, this part is also made of silicone to prevent the cord from bending or kinking while you are soldering. Frequent bending of the cords can cause it to get damaged easily which can affect the performance of the soldering iron.
- When it comes to design, this soldering station is an excellent choice as well. There are ventilation holes on the tip that helps prevent overheating that can lead to damage of the material. Overheating may not only damage the tool, but it can also cause an accident or fire.
- Since Sywon 60W ESD soldering iron comes in full set, you can also save money from buying other soldering equipment that you may need during the process. It is worth noting that it is not only a high-quality unit, but it is also one of the affordable tools available in the market. Why settle for expensive ones when you can get the same quality and functionality that you can get from this model? It is a perfect example of value for money and worth an investment.
- One of the crucial things that you should also look after when buying a soldering iron is the ability of the tool to produce a safe working environment. Take note that you will not only be dealing with heat, but you are also prone to electric shock. Since the soldering stations are mostly powered by electricity, it is not also safe from fire. Sywon 60W ESD soldering iron is something that you will fell in love with because it represents a safe-to-use soldering tool. That gives you a peace of mind that you are protected while holding the equipment.
As mentioned, Sywon 60W has three versions available depending on your preference and budget. The basic version, the pro version, and lastly, the upgraded one with the most features. You are free to choose the qualities that your soldering station must have as long as it also meets your budget.
This product, although it possesses various useful features for your soldering needs, is not free from drawbacks. Although it is nice that this soldering station has a compact control box, it is disadvantageous because of its weight. Since it is light, it can be easily moved at a slight touch. Therefore, you have to make sure that it is placed in a flat and intact surface to prevent any accident.
Another thing we have noticed is that the handle of this soldering iron is made of plastic instead of a solid material like steel. As a result, this part can get damaged easily.
What We Like
- Quick heating time
What We Don’t Like
- Handle is plastic and not metal
- Control box and solder holder are too light-weight
- May break if used at high temperatures repeatedly
- May stop working
The market can offer extensive varieties of products that are used for soldering. However, one that stands out for us is the X-Tronic 3020-XTS soldering station. We like its overall performance and functionality. Although it is lacking different varieties of soldering tips, it still cannot cover the fact that this tool is an excellent choice for small to large projects.
It is an excellent example of innovation and proper utilization of technology. Despite its advanced features, its design was made simple and user-friendly. This tool is also the perfect choice if you want to have a seamless soldering experience. Another characteristic of this product that truly catches our attention is the way it works. Whether you want to adjust the temperature or monitor the heat level, the X-Tronic 3020-XTS model deserves a number spot in the list.
You can easily get the precise temperature using its programmable setting, sleep function, and digital display. Although it costs more expensive than the other products, we can say that it is worth every penny. Its price is fair enough for you to get a high-quality soldering station that can make your work efficient.
Finding a soldering station for your projects is an overwhelming thing to do. However, the process shouldn’t be complicated as long as you know you the quality that you are looking for. It is also essential to determine if it is suitable for your budget. You have to consider many aspects to ensure that you get the essential tool that can help you achieve efficient results. Always check if the product is durable, budget-friendly, packed with essential features, and functionality.
Now, do you have a personal choice among the list that we have reviewed? Is it something that meets the requirements of your soldering project? Are there features that you wish to see on your favorite unit? Ensure that you take the right decision before you start shopping.