Once you start searching for the best soldering iron that money can buy, you’re going to find that there are plenty of different units on the market, and you’re going to want a model that is not only easy to use but also has every accessory you could dream of with the added convenience of longevity.
For first-time soldering iron owners, choosing the perfect model is tough, especially as the majority of units are rated highly.
If you’re one of the many DIY enthusiasts interested in buying their own soldering iron, be sure to take a look at the comparisons of the top five models below.
Top 5 Best Soldering Iron Comparison Chart
Best Soldering Iron Reviews
1. ANBES Soldering Iron Kit
The ANBES Soldering Iron Kit is filled with accessories that will prove to be quite useful when you start your soldering projects, which is essential for people who want complete control of every project they get their hands on. With plenty of interesting features and great benefits, it’s a top contender when looking at the best soldering irons.
The most interesting highlights of the ANBES Soldering Iron Kit include:
- Dual spring stand: In the event that you don’t want to have to hold your soldering iron in your hand, the double spring stand offers a secure way to solder delicate pieces.
- Easily replaceable tips: Instead of having to work with hot screws when replacing the tip on the iron, you’ll appreciate the impact and heat resistant screw heads that make the tips easily interchangeable.
- Easy to use desolder pump: In the event that you need to remove solder, be sure to use the desolder pump which operates like a high-pressure vacuum to leave you with a clean connection.
- 【Soldering Iron Support Station】- Standard dual spring soldering iron holder with sponge is a very useful tool when the soldering iron work.It has a secure base and it is more safer than any other thin soldering stand.The maximum extent to avoid the user was burned and damaged.
- 【Soldering Iron Unique Features】- Superior professional soldering iron has 5 multiple tips replacement, Heat and impact resistant design of screw thread so the iron head is not easy to drop.Adjustable Temperature from 200℃-450℃.Heat up fast and work great.
- 【Solder Sucker Desoldering Pump】- Rugged metal construction,the desoldering pump is high pressure vacuum tube with aluminum body frame, which allows easy one-handed use, best for removing solder from PCB through hole solder joints.
- 【Widely Used & Carry Portable】- Soldering iron tools widely used for welding circuit board, appliance repair, Home DIY hobbyists,jewelry welding.You can take it anywhere and you will be able to find the tools you need in the carry bag.
- 【14-In-1 Soldering Kit】- Soldering iron kit comes with soldering iron,desoldering pump, 5 multiple soldering tips, tin wire tube, soldering iron stand, tweezers, wire stripper cutter, 2 electronic wire.
What's to like about the ANBES Soldering Iron Kit
- Easily adjustable temperature: Compared to other soldering irons that don’t have accurate temperature adjustments, this model makes it easier to have control over the temperature of the soldering tip.
- The stand helps to prevent burns: Soldering irons without stands make it easier to get burned, and if you’re learning how to use one for the first time, the stand helps protect your hands from painful burns and keep your workstation more organized.
- Useful accessories: You’re sure to get a lot of use out of the accessories that come with the kit, especially the desoldering pump and the tweezers.
What's not to like about the ANBES Soldering Iron Kit
- Not recommended for large projects: If you’re simply looking for a soldering iron for basic wiring, this is a great kit to use; however, it’s not recommended for larger projects such as battery wiring since the soldering iron doesn’t get hot enough.
- The whole body heats up: For people who aren’t interested in using the stand for soldering, you’re going to need to purchase safety gloves as the body of the iron doesn’t insulate heat very well.
2. Tabiger Soldering Iron Kit
With an adjustable temperature setting, the Tabiger Soldering Iron Kit is a convenient tool to have as it gives you the ability to perform 11 different actions within a single kit. With plenty of attachments, components, and accessories stored in a convenient carrying case, you’ll be able to make the most out of your soldering iron with every project.
A couple of the most outstanding highlights of the Tabiger Soldering Iron Kit include:
- Optimal heat production: This soldering iron not only gets to its full temperature within two minutes, but it also has phenomenal heat dissipation that helps make the iron more efficient for use over a long period of time.
- 11-in-1 kit: With 11 different pieces that you can choose from, you have the ability to customize the way you want to use your soldering iron. You’ll not only have the iron itself, but also five different tips, a stand, tweezers, solder, a desoldering sponge, and cleaning sponges.
- 【BASIC SOLDERING IRON KIT】: This package comes with soldering iron, 5 solder tips, stand, solder wire tube, anti-Static tweezer, desoldering pump and a durable tool case. This tool set can meet all of your soldering project needs.
- 【HEAT UP QUICKLY & ENERGY SAVING】: The 110V 60W soldering iron features an advanced ceramic printed heater to heat up to the targeted temperature quickly, and adjustable temperature range 200~450℃ with large venting holes make it much more energy-efficient.
- 【UPGRATED ONE-HANDED USE DESOLDERING PUMP】: The Solder sucker with simple construction, you can cock it and press the trigger button with one hand. High pressure vacuum can remove solder from a printed circuit board effectively. The body of desoldering pump is made of aluminum, which can resistance to beat, corrosion and have good heat dispersion.
- 【PORTABLE STORAGE TOOLBOX】: The multifunctional durable plastic case is rather convenient to store small tools and easy to carry, avoiding damage of the soldering gun and all accessories with inner protective layer.
- 【APPLICATION & WARRANTY】: With this multifunctional tool kit, you can repairing various electronics and circuit board, like welding, jewelry, guitar, watches, wiring, mobile device, computers hardware, small electronic work, TV capacitors or accessories, trinkets of children, crafts and more. TABIGER promises a 12 months product warranty and free lifetime customer support. Please contact us if you have any problems.
What's to like about the Tabiger Soldering Iron Kit
- Recommended for small projects: The Tabiger Soldering Iron Kit surely isn’t the type of soldering iron that you’re going to want to use for large projects as it simply doesn’t get hot enough to work with thicker metals. However, this means that it’s perfect for beginners and everyday DIY projects without being too overpowering.
- Spacious toolbox: The toolbox or carrying case that comes with the soldering iron kit is very useful because it helps you keep all of your soldering accessories in one place. The box is also spacious enough for you to fit a couple of other personal extras in the same place.
What's not to like about the Tabiger Soldering Iron Kit
- Poorly constructed stand: Although you might be excited to have a soldering iron with a stand, the stand that comes with this unit is flimsy, weak, and simply a piece of stamped sheet metal. It’s unreliable at best, and it’s better not to use it, especially as once it’s bent into place, you can’t fit it back into the carrying case or toolbox.
- Standalone desolder pump: Another problem with the Tabiger Soldering Iron Kit is that its desolder pump is impossible to use with only two hands, especially as you need to keep your hand on the soldering iron and the material you’re soldering. It’s a standalone item, which means you’ll have to switch between tools.
3. Vastar Soldering Iron Kit
With its sleek and modern appearance, the Vastar Soldering Iron Kit is a great option for someone who is looking for a soldering iron that excels in performance as well as aesthetics. You’ll surely benefit from using this soldering iron as it not only comes with all of the accessories you could ever need, but it is also specifically designed to be efficient and convenient for everyday use.
Some of the main highlights of the Vastar Soldering Iron Kit include:
- Improved heat dissipation: In order to make sure that your soldering iron not only gets to the ideal temperature in as little time as possible, but it also doesn’t get too hot to hold since it has an upgraded steel design for the perfect dissipation.
- Great accessories: As with the majority of soldering kits, you can guarantee that there are plenty of accessories that come with the iron that you will use with every solder. With this kit, you’ll receive five tips, a stand, solder, tweezers, and a desoldering pump.
- Ideal for beginners: If you’re someone who isn’t responsible for large-scale industrial projects, the Vastar Soldering Iron Kit is a competitive model to get your hands on. It’s versatile, especially as it gives you the ability to do a ton of DIY projects such as repairing gaming controllers and electric guitars.
- ✔ Heat up Quickly and Heat Dissipation Efficiency - Better heat dissipation efficiency with our upgrade steel-pipe design, the vaster new soldering iron is more efficient in a better heat dissipation.
- ✔ Upgrade PCBA - we use the chip fixed resistor while others on the market use the color ring resistance, the chip fixed resistor will help the soldering well.
- ✔ Excellent Soldering Gun - No need soldering station, just plug and play. Easy to operation.Adjust the temperature according to your need by the knob wheel on the electronic soldering iron.
- ✔ 5 Pcs Iron Tips - Five different tips makes soldering iron easy to fit for guitar, computers, hardware, and TV capacitors or accessories etc.
- ✔ Widely Used Soldering kits - Soldering iron welding tools is widely used for welding circuit board, appliance repair, Home DIY hobbyists, jewelry welding. Best choice for Welding beginner.
What's to like about the Vastar Soldering Iron Kit
- Easy to use temperature control: Depending on your upcoming projects, you’re going to need to be able to change the temperature of your soldering iron, especially if you’re working with different types of solder and metals. With the user-friendly temperature control, you’re able to customize how your soldering iron works.
- All-inclusive kit: As mentioned, there are five different soldering tips that you will receive in your kit, and even if you only end up using one out of the five, you’re sure to use all of the other accessories that are included. You’ll be able to start using your soldering iron right out of the box as it comes shipped with everything you’d ever need.
- Micro-tip tweezers: For dealing with tiny and delicate components, you’ll appreciate the micro-tip tweezers, though it’s important that you use them delicately; otherwise, they may bend easily.
What's not to like about the Vastar Soldering Iron Kit
- Not grounded: The most important thing to remember about the Vastar Soldering Iron Kit is that it is not a grounded soldering iron, which may not be a big deal in most cases, but if you are working on materials that are susceptible to electrical static, this is not the right model for you.
- Poorly constructed stand: Similar to the Tabiger Soldering Iron, the stand that comes with the Vastar Soldering Iron Kit is seemingly made out of stamped sheet metal that you can bend, but are unable to bend back into its flat shape for storage. It’s rather flimsy and unreliable to use as a stand that should assist you with hands-free soldering.
4. Handskit Soldering Iron Kit
With plenty of features like a heat-resistant body that will surely prove to be useful, the Handskit Soldering Iron Kit is an all-inclusive package that puts the user’s safety and convenience as its top two priorities. As a kit that has everything that you’ll need (and more) to complete an entire soldering project, this is surely a competitive soldering iron that you can get your hands on.
The most interesting features of the Handskit Soldering Iron Kit include:
- Heating technology: With the integrated ceramic heating technology, you can guarantee that the soldering iron will get hot in relatively no time and it is made out of a specialized insulated silica gel and upgraded materials that are heat resistant.
- Easy on-and-off switch: Instead of having to fool around with a bunch of dials and switches, all you have to do is rely on a single on-and-off switch which makes it not only easier to use, but faster as well.
- Portable and functional kit: You’ll not only have access to a great carrying bag to help prevent the loss of any accessories, but you’ll also have plenty of components to increase the versatility of the iron, such as five solder tips, a desoldering pump, solder, an iron stand, tweezers, and wire strippers.
- Soldering Iron with ON/OFF Switch:The soldering iron kit with ON/OFF Switch,it is easy to save energy and ensure safe welding.You just need to turn it off if you don’t want to use it.The insulating silica gel on the iron can effectively protect the iron from being ironed at high temperature or the iron tips dropping on the ground.
- Heat up Quickly and Heat Disspation Efficiency:Inner-heated ceramic technology makes the electric soldering iron heat up quickly;Upgraded heat resistant material (not plastic).
- Range of Application:Best gift idea for DIY,various repaired usage of electronics and chipboards, jewelry, welding, watches, wiring, mobile device, computers hardware, small electronic work, TV capacitors or accessories.Excellent Product Experience Soldering iron holder dual safety design.
- Complete Function Kit:Comes with PU carrying bag, 110V 60W Adjustable Temperature Welding Soldering iron, 5pcs Solder Tip, Desoldering Pump, Tin Wire Tube, Soldering Iron Stand, Tweezers, Wire Stripper Cutter, easy and safe.
- Portable Storage and Carry:Which can avoid losing the soldering accessories.The item is great for electric repair,home DIY and other soldering project.
What's to like about the Handskit Soldering Iron Kit
- Small and convenient: Instead of investing your money in a professional soldering iron for DIY projects, the Handskit Soldering Iron Kit is ideal for smaller projects that you can do around the house.
- Heats quickly: Just as it’s advertised, the soldering iron gets hot very quickly which may seem overwhelming for first-time users, but once you get over the learning curve, you’ll be able to work with the higher heats without burning out your tips.
- Decent quality accessories: With most kits, they will come with accessories, but they’re typically not the highest quality items you can have. However, the components in this kit are useful and reliable to use over a long period of time.
What's not to like about the Handskit Soldering Iron Kit
- Tips may oxidize easily: If you need to use the soldering iron at high temperatures, it’s very likely that the soldering tips are going to easily oxidize, which means you’ll have to make sure you always clean and maintain them.
- Barely accurate temperature control: The most difficult disadvantage to live with is the fact that the variable temperature control is very inaccurate, which makes it hard to fine-tune how hot your iron gets.
5. NiceCable Soldering Iron Kit
If you’re in the market for a soldering iron kit that not only has all of the components you could ever need but also has a high-quality storage option and optimal performance, the NiceCable Soldering Iron Kit is another strong model to consider. With 11 pieces in the entire kit, you’ll never run out of accessories for easy projects around your home.
The best highlights and key features of the NiceCable Soldering Iron Kit include:
- 11 included accessories: With your order, you’re going to receive five soldering tips, a desoldering pump, solder wire, a soldering stand, wick, a cleaning sponge, two pairs of tweezers, pliers, and a toolbox.
- Easy on-and-off switch: To make it even easier to use the soldering iron, you can take advantage of the on-and-off switch which will help you save energy and get the iron ready to be used within a matter of seconds.
- Ideal heat dissipation: In the tip, you’re going to notice four different ventilation holes that are necessary to get the tip to the perfect temperature. The body also comes with a PCBA chip fixed resistor that helps heat the soldering iron in as little time as possible.
- 11-in-1 Full Kit - Kit comes with soldering iron, 5 soldering tips, solder wire, soldering sucker (desoldering pump), solder wick, iron stand with cleaning sponge, 2 anti-static tweezers, Diagonal cutting pliers and a tool box. This tool set make it perfect for family use such as electric repair, home DIY or wood burning projection, etc.
- On/Off switch- This soldering iron can be turned on/off easily to save energy and ensure safe welding. With upgraded ceramic heater chip, it can heat up quickly. Adjustable temperature with thermostat range 200~450℃ (392-842℉).
- Steel-pipe design -The four ventilation holes on the solder tip provide better heat dissipation than others. Upgraded PCBA with chip fixed resistor also helps dissipate heat quickly.
- Safe and environmental protection soldering wire included. There are ingredient listed on the tinned tube package, lead free solder wire is environmentally friendly, non-toxic, non-polluting, safe to use.
- Easy for storage and carry - The multifunctional tool box is an additional feature, and convenient to store small tools and portable for DIY work and other electric repair.
What's to like about the NiceCable Soldering Iron Kit
- Easily warms up: As you would expect from a high-quality soldering iron, you can guarantee that the soldering iron's tip will get warm enough in under one minute, which encourages it to reach a usable temperature in less than two minutes.
- Tips fit perfectly: With less expensive soldering irons, the way the tip fits onto the body can be concerning as they may wiggle around. Fortunately, the tips that come with the NiceCable Soldering Iron Kit fit perfectly onto the body, giving you a stable and secure soldering iron.
What's not to like about the NiceCable Soldering Iron Kit
- Stand is hard to balance: When you place the soldering iron in its stand, you’re going to realize how wobbly it is. You may have to consider adding a counterbalance to prevent the stand from falling over.
- Unsecured sponge: In comparison to cleaning sponges inside of tins or affixed to your soldering iron stand, the cleaning sponge in this kit will require you to hold the sponge as you clean the iron.
Knowing exactly what to look for when you start looking for a soldering iron is what will help you find not only the top-rated unit but also one that fits into your specifications. It’s important that you take the time to think about the following specific features to make sure you’ll be able to use your soldering iron to its fullest potential.
Types of Soldering Iron
There are four main types of soldering irons that you can get your hands on, each has their own array of purposes, and you might find that using one type is better than another.
The most popular type of compact soldering irons is a soldering pencil, which is recommended for smaller DIY projects. They’re affordable, portable, and typically come with several accessories such as different soldering tips and cleaning accessories. With that being said, they’re best for fine projects because they may not offer the ability to control their temperature.
The second most popular type of soldering equipment is a soldering station, and they can sometimes be the better option as they come equipped with everything that you need in one convenient location. With a soldering station, you have plenty of controls including temperature control and they will also come with soldering stands and other components.
Industrial Soldering Systems
Recommended for large-scale projects, industrial soldering systems are typically found in manufacturing environments, and they have a variety of different components ranging from a desoldering gun to a hot air gun.
Soldering guns can be convenient because they give you the ability to turn the unit on and off easily, and they typically warm up very quickly. Although they are simple to use, they’re not the best for fine projects, such as working on wires, as they produce far more heat than a soldering pencil.
Soldering Iron Temperature Control
Being able to control the temperature of your soldering iron is of the utmost importance, especially if you intend on doing a bunch of DIY projects with different materials. Every metal or alloy has a specific melting point, and using a soldering iron that gets too hot is only going to damage the solder or the item you’re working on. With the ability to adjust the temperature, you get far more versatility out of the unit.
Soldering Iron Wattage
Wattage is another important thing to take into consideration simply because it determines the amount of power that is sent to the soldering iron and can affect other aspects, such as whether the iron is corded or cordless. The higher the wattage, the hotter the soldering iron is going to be, and there’s more of a probability that the iron will have to be plugged into a circuit.
The recommended wattage for different projects may vary; for example:
- Circuit board soldering: 50W
- Automobile work: 50 to 60W
- Household work (i.e., soldering lead windows): 60W+
Soldering Iron Brand
As with most tools, the idea of choosing a reputable brand when looking for a soldering iron may cause you to make an overly expensive purchase. Although it can be comfortable to stick with brands that you have heard of before, at times, there are plenty of diamonds in the rough.
The most important thing to think about when shopping for a soldering iron is its performance, rather than the company that makes the soldering iron. So, it’s best to read through short-term and long-term customer reviews to get an idea of the longevity of the tool.
Nevertheless, more well-known brands may offer better warranties that they stick to, which is essential if this is your first time purchasing a soldering iron. You’ll want to make sure that the device is covered, so you never incur a loss of money as a result of a defective unit.
Soldering Iron Portability (Corded or Cordless)
The portability of your soldering iron is dependent on how you intend on using the unit and the amount of power you expect it to have. Remember, the higher the wattage, the more likely it is that the unit will need to be plugged in because if it ran on fuel such as butane, you’d have to refill the reservoir every 10 minutes.
For most small projects where portability is key, you’re going to want to opt for a cordless model, whereas for larger projects, it can be better to choose a corded model. Regardless, it’s important to make sure your workstation has access to power.
Best Soldering Iron F.A.Q.
What is a soldering iron?
A soldering iron is a unique tool that gives you the ability to tackle a wide variety of projects around the house. It may be in a thick pencil shape, the shape of a gun, or even a part of an industrial machine. The main purpose behind a soldering iron is to give you the ability to melt two materials together to create a circuit, a watertight seal, or even an airtight seal, and there are plenty of everyday uses for a generic soldering iron.
Heat is created inside of the unit that warms up the soldering tip, giving you the ability to melt solder (metal alloy) to another part in order to affix them together. For example, when computer circuit boards are made and repaired, individuals will use soldering irons to splice two wires together.
What does a soldering iron do?
There are dozens of different things that a soldering iron can do as long as it’s a project where you’ll be working with metals. A couple of the most popular soldering iron tasks include:
- Arts and crafts
- Stained glass and mosaic projects
- Repairing or making circuit board connections
- Working on automobile wiring
- Crafting jewelry
How to use a soldering iron?
Learning how to use a soldering iron is simple, especially if the unit you buy comes with all of the instructions you’ll need for easy operation. By following these steps, you should easily be able to solder anything around your home.
Step 1: Prepare the Iron
First, you need to plug in the soldering iron and wait for it to heat up. During this process, wet the cleaning sponge or desired cleaning material, then, clean the tip of the solder, and then melt a small amount of solder on the tip of your iron (known as tinning).
Step 2: Cleaning the Surface
Depending on what you’re soldering on, you’re going to need to buff the item with steel wool and make sure that any paint, oil, wax, or dirt is fully removed.
Step 3: Solder
By holding the soldering iron like a pen, warm the connection and then apply the solder to the surface. It’s important to remember that both the solder and connection need to be warmed in order to create a good solder.
Step 4: Inspect the Joint
At this point, the connection should appear to be shiny and if it doesn’t appear to be as strong as you would like, reheat the joint and start again from step 1. If the joint looks strong, then you can continue to the next step.
Step 5: Clean and Store the Soldering Iron
Be sure to wipe the tip of your iron with your cleaning sponge or material until the tip looks shiny again. You can then cover it with its protective cap and ensure that you unplug the soldering iron so that it can begin to cool down.
How to clean a soldering iron?
Cleaning a soldering iron is something that you need to do after every solder; otherwise, the iron tip is going to be exposed to oxidization, which could render it useless. Similar to drill bits, you’re going to want to maintain all of your soldering tips so that you won’t have to replace them in the future.
With most soldering kits, you’re going to receive a cleaning sponge that should be dampened before you even begin soldering. Once your project is complete, ensure that you wipe the tip of the iron on the damp sponge until it returns to its shiny appearance.
When the time comes that you need to find the right soldering iron for DIY household projects, the ANBES Soldering Iron Kit is by far your best choice simply because it has the least amount of disadvantages with plenty of features that work very well.
The first thing that makes the ANBES Soldering Iron Kit the best is the fact that all of the included accessories are easy to use. Hence, you’ll easily be able to switch between different soldering tips, and you will also spend far less time setting up the iron in its stand for hands-free operation.
You’ll also appreciate its adjustable temperature that is accurate and easy to use, giving you the ability to customize the heat that your solder experiences. Depending on the type of metal you’re working with, you may need to adjust the temperature of your soldering iron with every job.
Finally, it’s easy to see how the ANBES Soldering Iron Kit is such a versatile kit because it has an overwhelming amount of accessories for you to use to your advantage. From the stable and sturdy stand to the easy to use cleaning sponge, you’ll have everything that you need in one convenient package.
With the help of a soldering iron, you can complete a variety of projects including small repairs on electronics and creating and repairing beautiful pieces of jewelry. In order to make the most reliable purchase possible, choosing the ANBES Soldering Iron Kit will surely pay off.